Wednesday, February 5, 2014

saying goodbye..


we had to say to goodbye to our sweet poppy girl last night.  she was only 6 1/2 years old. so very young.  over the weekend she was acting off, not eating and acting listless.  then later in the afternoon on saturday she seemed to have a stroke or seizure and couldn't get control of her limbs.  we rushed her over to our vet and they thought it seemed cardiovascular based on how rigid she got and the way she was curling her legs up to her body.  we'd also found a lump near her spine just 2 days before.  her blood pressure was too low for bloodwork to rule out infection or diabetes so we left the vet armed with heart meds and instructions to see how she does on the meds for a few days and follow up with the cardiologist at our practice.  she was drinking water but only if we placed her at her dish.  she was not eating that we could tell and was just super weak and unsteady when walking. 

so last night we took her back to the vet and her temperature was so low when we got there they wrapped her in blankets with hot water bottles.  they listened to heart and said it sounded very quiet and weak.  she's also lost 1.5lbs in the 3 days since we'd been there.  for a 7lb cat that is a lot of weight.  we could have driven her straight to an emergency cardiologist but our vet thought it might only be a few days even with aggressive treatment, maybe weeks but her quality of life would not be good.  tim wanted to bring her home for the night, but the vet said we'd only have a few hours and would need to bring her back that night.  i was worried we'd bring her home selfishly and wouldn't be able to get her back in time if something terrible happened.    so, we made the hard decision to end her suffering. 

we are so so sad today.  even though she was a tiny cat our house feels so quiet and empty without her.  we will miss our sweet girl so very much.

16 comments:

  1. i'm so, so sorry for your loss, kate. poppy was such a special cat. i'm glad that you have this space to keep many of your memories of her. you're so strong to share this tragic loss.

    hug everyone a little tighter.

    xo nicole
    writeslikeagirlblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, my heart aches for your family. Losing a pet is a horribly sad and frustrating situation. Animals, particularly family pets, have all the good qualities of humans and none of the bad ones. Unconditional love in it's truest and purest form. Sending big hugs your way. XOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry this happened Kate. I can't even imagine what I would do if the same thing happened to our dog. I'm sure she lived a happy life with you and your family though. Sending you love.

    Justina

    ReplyDelete
  4. :( That's so sad! I'm so sorry about your loss. I can only imagine. I would be a wreck if that happened to Taylor or Cotton. I've actually told Taylor she is never allowed to die because I will be a giant mess. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness. My heart breaks for you! I am so very sorry for your loss. I know how easy it is to get attached - they are part of the family. I have an old dog and I cry just thinking about the end, so I sympathize with this situation and how difficult it must have been for you to make that decision. Again, words aren't enough, but I'm sorry for the loss of your gorgeous cat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for you guys! I hate this so much. I can't even read this without getting all teary-eyed, for perhaps the 4th time over Poppy. Poppy knew you guys loved her a lot! I wish I was there to give you a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart breaks for you. It's evident how much love you have for her and she would know it, without a doubt. Go gently, love and light.
    Sar xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear that but always cherish the happy memories and beautiful photos you have of her♥ I have a dog that's slowly reaching her final years, I can't even imagine the pain of her passing away so suddenly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Kate, I'm in tears reading this post!!!! I'm so so so sorry. I absolutely hate that. I know she knew without a doubt how much you all loved her, even then, right up until the end. Praying for you guys this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry for your loss. You are right; so young and tragic. Thinking of you as you grieve.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, I am so sorry. I've had to do that before and it is absolutely gut wrenching. Thinking of you all and hoping you're ok.

    ReplyDelete