Saturday, October 20, 2012

Teething.. (when will it end?!)

[excuse the blurry instagram, we threw the tooth out or I'd take a better pic]
 
“Teething” has seemed like a random theory for Henry’s biting, but we finally have some proof that he really IS teething!  Either that or we’re living with a tiny shark, which doesn’t seem too far from the truth.    This enormous tooth was just laying on the carpet, and I thought it was a piece of plastic at first.  Also he's been bleeding all over his squeaky toys so we know a few have fallen out.  Luckily our beige rugs (good idea, previous owners) have remained unscathed (so far). 

I've been slacking on my weekly series.  Henry is now 6 months, and close to 70lbs (he was 62.8 about 2 weeks ago at the vet).   He is definitely Jekyll & Hyde (as my mom says), perfect & sweet one minute - and a totally crazy biting/humping/jumping machine the next.  We're hoping that getting him fixed sometime in the new couple of weeks will calm him down a bit.  It's definitely just puppy behavior, but seems worse when it's a 70lb puppy.  He's also tall enough to counter surf.  He jumps up and everything is fair game.  So our counters have been pretty bare lately.  And, right now, we have him gated in our family room and kitchen.  But I'm a little terrified for when we actually start eating at the dining room table aka right at head level for him.  
Tim was away in TX for a work conference a few weeks back and both my parents and my in-laws invited me for dinner.  Which was really sweet - or possibly a hint that they're worried I'd just eat cereal while he was gone?  Either way.  Anyways, my parents have a dog so there was some distraction there.  That went okay - not great - but not awful.  Tim's parents do not have a dog - though luckily they had baby gates from their previous dog.  It was like hurricane Henry.  If he wasn't trying to eat their plants he was jumping on the kitchen table with both paws to put his face in my mother-in-law's coffee mug.   I was basically chasing him with every toy/bone we have trying to distract.  Also, it was raining and their yard is not fenced.  So, yeah - you get the idea.   I've revoked his dinner privileges until he's about 2. Then we'll give it another go.   My in-laws said it wasn't that bad and that they just felt bad for me because I couldn't sit down the whole time. 
 xo
Kate
 

6 comments:

  1. Ohhh yes I remember that stage with bronx. I also remember finding one of his teeth, but it was teeny tiny. But yeah he definitely went through a humping stage too which was really strange and awkward!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh I am so sorry!! We are going through teething right now too and it is madness. I am throwing away (yes throwing away- it is that badly damaged) a METAL coffee table that Bosley has chewed on. I hope that once the "puppy" phase has calmed down a little, everything will be calm and happy all of the time. Hang in there! Just remember that it will eventually end and things will be easy again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just came across your blog and I love it! This is funny because I thought at first you were talking about a baby- then I realized you were talking about your dog teething- which I know nothing about! I didn't even know dogs teethed! Hope everything gets better soon. Teething is the worst- for babies AND dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. our jack russell when he was teething i found a few teeth but nothing the size of your dog's teeth. it is an interesting stage for sure. and even at 3 our jack russell named kip still does the humping, and that is probably because he isn't fixed yet...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have been teething over here too. Except it's the kid, not the pup. Actually I didn't know dogs lost their teeth. We got our dog when she was a year old so we never went through all that. Makes sense though! Poor pup, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! i'm hoping once the teething ends the biting will too! hoping no permanent bad habits are forming over here. :)

      Delete